Operate an SMS gateway service using the Melrose Labs SMPP SMS Gateway platform. The globally distributed cloud-based SMPP SMS Gateway platform provides API and portal access for your customers to send and receive SMS, and gives you the ability to manage customers, billing, supplier connections and routing.
Use the SMPP SMS Gateway as your SMS switch to start a business in mobile messaging, provide your organisation with its own messaging capability, or upgrade your existing platform with greater reliability, capacity and capability. The platform comprises the SSG Administration Portal and messaging nodes located in the UK, Germany, Singapore, Australia, Brazil and the USA. The txtConsole end-user portal can be used by your customers as an alternative to APIs for sending and receiving SMS, and has a number of applications for marketing, customer onboarding, appointment reminding, staff communication, customer support and more.
For customers with a requirement of up to 100 million SMS/day, we currently recommend the Standard version of the SMPP SMS Gateway.
SSG Administration Portal
Administer your global SSG instance using the SSG Administration Portal. The portal provides many functions, and these are briefly described below. The SSG Management API can also be used to perform a number of these functions.
Connecting to a supplier's SMS gateway / SMSC, creating a customer SMPP account, and sending a message. From portal login to sending messages in under 3.5 minutes.
SMS gateway platforms, such as the Melrose Labs SMPP SMS Gateway, are an essential core element that enable the reliable delivery of SMS messages to and from mobile users. They are used by messaging aggregators to provide SMS services to their customers, enterprises to manage messaging between different parts of the business and upstream messaging providers, and DevOps teams in organisations to develop, test and deploy messaging capabilities.
The SMPP SMS Gateway handles the technical aspects of conveying messages from your customers, via your suppliers and onto mobile users, and allows you to monetise the service and charge your customers for the SMS traffic that they send and receive. Prepay and postpay charging models are supported.
Short Message Peer-to-Peer (SMPP ) is the API that is used to enable your customers to connect with SMPP SMS Gateway and for the gateway to connect with your suppliers. REST, HTTP and other SMS APIs can be made available to aid integration with customers and suppliers.
txtConsole End-User Customer Portal
The SMPP SMS Gateway includes the brandable/whitelabel txtConsole end-user portal for use by your customers as an alternative to APIs for sending and receiving SMS. It has a number of applications for marketing, customer onboarding, appointment reminding, staff communication, customer support and more. Your customers can also use it to look-up the status of individual messages and to view messaging reports.
txtConsole API provides access to applications available within the portal and the ability to send messages to single or multiple mobile numbers.
Melrose Labs SMPP SMS Gateway Features
Customers connect to your SMPP SMS Gateway using SMPP or REST to send and receive messages. Other APIs are available.
- SMPP v3.3, v3.4, v5
- SMPP over TLS
- IP whitelist
- Limit number and type of binds
- Limit geographic access (e.g. require connection only to Europe nodes)
- Multiple character sets supported
- SMPP transmitter, receiver and transceiver binds supported
- Customer-specific delivery receipt error codes
- Limit submit rate (SMS/sec)
- Flow control and congestion avoidance (SMPP v5)
- Up to 10,000 SMS/sec throughput
- Rules - reject or modify messages
- Customer portal (brandable) - txtConsole : message submission, reporting, lookup
- REST API - Includes API access to txtConsole applications and message submission
- Account balance audit trail
Supplier SMSCs and SMS gateway are connected to from your SMPP SMS Gateway. Connections are maintained from any of the worldwide access nodes, with connections to multiple geographically separate supplier endpoints being recommended.
- SMPP v3.3, v3.4, v5
- SMPP over TLS, SMPP over VPN
- HTTP APIs supported
- Conversion to/from SMSC character set
- Supplier-specific delivery receipt error codes
- Up to 10,000 SMS/sec throughput
- Define maintenance periods (temporarily pause using SMSC in run-up to maintenance)
The message store is used to securely hold submitted messages while delivery is being attempted, or delivery has been scheduled for a later date.
- Outbound (MT SMS, A2P SMS) and inbound (MO SMS, P2A SMS) stores
- Scheduled delivery
- Validity period
- Limit messages per destination
- Block sending to specific MSISDNs
- Block based on message content
Sophisticated routing supports a variety of scenarios and needs to ensure messages are delivered as quickly as possible within defined policies.
- Retry profile for failed messages
- Multiple routes for each destination, with failover
- Multi-part (concat/long SMS) handling
- Route selection based on message characteristics (originator, data coding, protocol ID, message content, etc)
- Route suspension based on delivery success
- Maximum cost limit
- Network lookup (SS7, ENUM)
- Traffic distribution across routes
- Distribution based on level of outstanding messages
- Up to 10,000 SMS/sec throughput
- Rules - select SMSC routes or modify messages based on route
- Pass MO and MT to webhook (Slack, MS Teams, etc)
- Routing scripts (see Scripts in SSG documentation )
- Data topics for use in rules
- Client delivery failures (aggregate/country/network)
- Supplier delivery failures (aggregate/country/network)
- Supplier connection state
- Realtime traffic levels and outcomes
- Prometheus monitoring integration and SNMP optional
- Customer balance notifications
- SMSC connection state notified to SIGNL4 , Slack, webhook
- Traffic state and other platform notifications
Reports give key insights into customer usage of your SMS gateway, the resulting revenue from their usage, and associated costs. The dashboard on the administration portal shows key information about customers, volumes, revenues, costs and margins. Performance of the service and its suppliers is also reported.
- Top customers
- New customer performance
- Volume reports by client/supplier/network
- Revenue reports
- Cost reports (inc. estimated vs actual costs)
- Margin reports
- Supplier route delivery latency
Analysis of cost-per-message (CPM), revenue-per-message (RPM) and margin-per-message (MPM) for customers, countries and networks also provides important insights.
- Revenue opportunities/vulnerabilities: where fractional or % price increase/reduction impacts margin
- Cost opportunities/vulnerabilities: where fractional or % cost reduction/increase impacts margin
- Client pricing: automatically calculate based on plan; send pricing change notifications to customers; generate CSV and PDF pricing files for customers
- Supplier pricing: process pricing changes from supplier; schedule pricing changes
- Bill customers (PDF invoices sent to customers; audit trail for import to sales ledger)
- Prepay and postpay for clients
- Recurring billing for regular fixed charges
- Traffic rating
- Suitable for wholesale and retail
Nodes for customer access and supplier connections are located worldwide. Your customers can access your gateway using any of the worldwide nodes. Service is the same regardless of the access node used.
Restrictions can be enabled to ensure that a customer's messages remain within a region and are not sent by the service outside of that region.
- Europe (UK)
- Europe (Germany)
- Asia Pacific (Australia)
- Asia Pacific (Singapore)
- North America (US)
- South America (Brazil)
- Africa (South Africa)
- Middle East (Bahrain)
Live Coming Soon Planned
The SSG Administration Portal allows you to manage all aspects of your SMPP SMS Gateway service.
- Client admin (up to 100k accounts)
- Supplier admin (up to 5000 routes)
- Gateway control
- Management API
- High reliability
- High availability (>99.999%)
- Scalable to demands
- Marketplace to trade SMS routes on Message Exchange
Note: Features provided are subject to customer requirements and SSG version.
The SMPP SMS Gateway (SSG) is available in a number of cloud and on-premises versions:
|TPS, scale, features
Platform SMS charge
Minimum monthly SMS charge
€120 (micro aggregator)
Perpetual license (purchase)
Monthly license (rental)
|Set-up: from US$ 795
Monthly: from US$ 295
- Standard version:
- Pricing based on the volume of SMS handled by your SMPP SMS Gateway instance at a rate of €0.00015/SMS or US$0.00015/SMS.
- Minimum bill of 2 million SMS per month (or 800 thousand SMS per month if you qualify as a micro aggregator).
Monthly cost estimator
Cost (from 15 Jan 2023)
Data Retention and Data Privacy
Data retention and data privacy policies ensure that data is handled securely and in accordance with GDPR. Mobile telephone numbers and message content are kept encrypted at rest and in motion whenever possible. Account-level policies ensure that messages are erased in line with your organisation's data retention policy.
- SMPP and REST/HTTP API for customers and SMSC connections
- Neutral, brandable customer portal
- Customer management (up to 100k accounts)
- Supplier management (up to 5000 routes)
- Sophisticated routing with 10000 SMS/sec throughput
- Pricing management, traffic rating and billing
- Monitoring and reporting
- A2P SMS
- P2A SMS